This is a classroom-based 7 to 10-day SCS-certified course in advanced rope rescue, which is the technician level of rope rescue. It is available from SCS when requested to suit your schedule, with a minimum of 5 student enrollments required.
This course builds current rope rescue skill levels and introduces you to advanced techniques in rope rescue and team dynamics. It includes classroom and practical field instruction, with an emphasis on advanced team skills, advanced victim packaging and extraction, team building, and team management.
In this course, you will learn complex rope and rigging systems, highline systems, advanced rope operations, pre-incident planning, and team building and maintenance. This program provides the advanced knowledge and skills to move into the team leader program. Special attention will be given at the operational safety level.
Course topics include the following:
- Operational safety and rope rescue risk management
- Personal rope skill maintenance (ropes and knots)
- Complex rigging systems and highline systems
- Advanced anchoring systems
- Multi-rescuer rappelling and pick-offs
- Rope rescue technician roles and responsibilities
- Advanced team rope and helicopter operations
- Pre-incident and rescue planning, documentation, and logs
- Team building and maintenance
- Advanced victim packaging and extraction
This technician level rope rescue program allows the rescuer to manage a team, mentor basic and intermediate level team members, and work as a team member during a rope rescue evolution either actual or simulated. Upon completion of this program the student shall have the ability to move into the team leader program.
Successful completion requires passing a written exam and demonstrating practical skills.
Prerequisites and PPE
To enroll in this course, you must be 18 years old, be in good physical condition, and be comfortable at heights (no acrophobia). You also need to have proof of successful completion of the following:
- Rope Rescue Level 1 (Basic), and
- Current fall arrest certification, and
- Standard First Aid with Level C CPR.
The required PPE includes CSA-approved steel toed boots, safety glasses, leather gloves, coveralls, and/or appropriate clothing for inclement weather conditions.
Note: All courses require you to have government-issued photo ID.