This is a classroom-based 1-day SCS-certified course in advanced incident command skills and knowledge. This ten hour incident command program is the second level of incident command offered at SCS. It is available from SCS when requested to suit your schedule, with a minimum of 5 student enrollments required.
This course goes into further detail on the use and development of the incident command system. It provides you more knowledge and skills for using an incident management system for mitigation of emergencies within industry and the municipal emergency services. The program consists of classroom and tabletop exercises, with an emphasis on documentation and planning.
This program gives you the skills to confidently and efficiently use the incident management system. Special attention will be given to departmental implementation and operational integration.
Course topics include the following:
- Multi-jurisdictional incident management system
- Incident command general operating guidelines
- Roles and responsibilities of command staff
- Operational integration and department implementation
- Incident action planning
- Documentation and operational logs
- Municipal and provincial legislation
- Media and media roles
- Post-incident demobilization
- Tabletop exercise
- Multi-agency communications
- Multi-agency response and unified command
Note that SCS recommends bi-yearly internal training to maintain these skills.
Prerequisites and PPE
To enroll in this course, you must be 18 years old and you must have proof of successful completion of the Incident Command Level 1 (Basic) – 10H (SCS). This course is recommended for staff in a supervisory or management role.
You don’t need to bring along any personal protective equipment (PPE).
Note: All courses require you to have government-issued photo ID.